Our publication programme
The museum makes information available in a wide variety of ways. Our publication programme is central to this and much of the output grows out of collaboration with researchers in maritime history and our own research activities.
Fathom: The annual journal of the National Maritime Museum Cornwall
Issue 1: A real collectors item
2017 saw us launch the first issue of brand new publishing initiative, FATHOM, an annual journal of writing, art and photography. Inspired by and expanding on the museum’s permanent collections, temporary exhibitions and wider cultural connections, the magazine brings together a series of essays, articles, unseen imagery and artefacts, which further bring to life the award-winning National Maritime Museum Cornwall’s nautical heritage and collections housed within its landmark building.
Fathom is on sale for £10 in the NMMC shop, and on Amazon. All proceeds to supporting the work of the museum.
Maritime Views is our online publication consisting of transcripts of historic documents and unrefereed articles. Two extended projects are:
- A Packet Surgeon’s journal – the diary of a young surgeon who travelled on the Packet ships in the 1820/1830s
- British Yachts and Yachtsmen – a transcript of this book from 1906
- Trafalgar – a series of articles on Cornish aspects of the great battle
- The Cammillieri Packet Poritraits
Troze is an online journal covering a range of topics, many to do with Cornish and West Country maritime history. A refereed journal, new volumes are issued roughly quarterly.
The articles cover two themes:
- General maritime matters
- The stories of Cornwall’s maritime past
The title of the journal uses a traditional Cornish word: Troze: the sound made by water about the bows of a boat in motion (from R. Morton Nance, A Glossary of Cornish Sea Words)
We welcome article submissions on any aspect relating to our mission from enthusiastic researchers, writers or people who are knowledgeable or passionate about their topics: in short anyone who has something interesting and relevant to say.
Please contact the editor at email@example.com or at
- Dr Cathryn Pearce, Greenwich Maritime Centre, Greenwich University (Editor)
- Dr Helen Doe, University of Exeter (Chairman)
- Captain George Hogg RN, National Maritime Museum Cornwall
- Dr Alston Kennerley, University of Plymouth
- Tony Pawlyn, Head of Library, National Maritime Museum Cornwall
- Dr Gary Tregidga, Institute of Cornish Studies, University of Exeter
- Dr Nigel Rigby, National Maritime Museum
- Dr Martin Wilcox, Maritime Historical Studies Centre, University of Hull
Two publications written by Trustees arising out of their work with the Museum are:
- The Falmouth Packet Ships written by Tony Pawlyn, the Museum’s Head of Research. Priced at £9.95, this is the definitive book on the subject
- The Maritime History of Cornwall written by Dr Helen Doe. Priced at £13.99 this is a useful introduction to this story which is at the heart of the Museum’s work
Both books are available by post from the museum shop.