This canoe was probably made by Sarazin of the Algonquin Reserve in the Ottawa Valley of Ontario.
It is a modern interpretation of the most developed form of birch bark canoe. It was presented to Prince Edward on the occasion of his visit to Canada in 1901 and has been lent to the Museum by H M The Queen. It is substantially complete, however, a number of steamed ribs which have been removed from the canoe have not been replaced and it also appears that the gunwale lashings have been renewed. The canoe is now stored inverted for its preservation.
Length 8.84 metres / Beam 1.7 metres