Jonik is a 24ft (7.3m) motor launch built in Fowey in 1934. The builder, Percy Clemens, used the best quality timber available. She is built using silver spruce and teak and demonstrates excellent craftsmanship. There were no power tools used in her construction, and the shed she was built in had no electric lighting. She was originally powered by a Thorneycroft Handybilly petrol engine, which is now in the Science Museum in London.
The boat was donated to the Museum by the family of the original owner. They very generously pledged an endowment in order to ensure that the boat came to the museum in perfect condition. Her restoration was carried out in full and as soon as possible. Due to general wear and tear the boat had deteriorated over the years and was stripped back to basics by Cornish boat builder, Maurice Hunkin and then renovated and given a fresh coat of paint.